Hair Straightening Tips
Just like people go into
great lengths to get their hair permed due to various reasons,
similarly people with naturally curly hair go into great lengths to get
their hair straightened. Amazingly on some faces, straight hair appear
lifeless and on some faces, curly hair looks ugly and untidy.
Therefore, straightening is equally well practiced as permanent waving.
The common link between the two changes is their chemical involvement. The practice of hair straightening involves two major steps:
- It breaks the S (Sulphur) bonds and the N (Nitrogen) bonds in the cortex during the processing time which softens the hair.
The use of neutralizer works as a fixative which is necessary to
restore the N and S bonds to rejoin the hair and make the hair acquire
the desired straightness.
Due to the chemical involvement, the hair may get damaged. To avoid that, the
first step should be to analyses the hair texture accurately.
chemicals should never be allowed to penetrate the scalp. Therefore, it
should be understood that the new growth at the scalp would acquire the
original curly nature. Since the maximum hair growth in a month is of
about 3/4 of an inch, you needs to do hair straightened again.
Straightening is the reverse of permanent waving, that means, in this
process, you make the curly hair straight by using chemical
straighteners. We should be very careful while using these chemicals
because sometimes it goes wrong and the client may start losing hair,
so always consult your client before you start. Points to remember before hair straightening
Procedure of hair straightening
- Texture of the hair.
- Length of the hair.
- Shampoo the hair; conditioner can be used if the hair is chemically treated or damaged.
- Make straightening gel by mixing white flour (maida), perm lotion and conditioner to avoid dryness.
- Start from the back by taking horizontal sections.
- Make sure that the hair is tangle free and neat before you start putting the file board.
- Heavier the hair, smaller should be the section.
- Put gel on the board and comb it through. Gel should not touch the scalp.
- Leave the gel on for 10 to 40 minutes depending on the texture. Rinse it well by using pressure water for 10 to 40 minutes.
- The board will come out automatically with the pressure of the water.
- After rinsing, comb the hair straight and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Put the neutralizer on the hair for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse the neutralizer; use conditioner and comb it.
go for a cut after straightening to make the hair even. Always cut the
hair at 0° angle to avoid layers. Straight cut is recommended for a
much neater and healthier look.
This straightening procedure is safe on the hair as there is no pulling. Post care for hair straightening
- Have a cut once a month or once in two months.
- Have a hot oil treatment done once a month.
- Use a serum is a must to avoid split ends and to provide shine to the hair.